Spa Treatments During Pregnancy
If there’s ever a time when one needs a little pampering – it’s when a mama-to-be is creating life.
Pregnancy is such a special, magical, and let’s be honest – completely exhausting time. A woman’s body is going thru so many changes, very quickly – muscles and bones are moving, stretching, and rearranging, along with the other discomforts of pregnancy like morning sickness, sinus congestion, digestive system changes, inflammation.
During pregnancy, the body needs to unwind, recharge and feel deeply appreciated.
When expecting, it’s important to do research and learn what services are safe during pregnancy, and at what time. Many popular services, like most facials, nail care and massages are perfectly safe during pregnancy. And some treatments, are best to wait until after you deliver and are finished nursing.
Remember, every pregnancy and each person is different, so it’s always recommended to consult with your doctor about what’s recommended for you prior to booking services with us. Check with your practitioner especially if you have been having morning sickness, high blood pressure, diabetes, preeclampsia or abdominal pain or bleeding.
Prenatal / Maternity / Pregnancy Massage
Maternity massage generally safe during pregnancy, as long as it’s scheduled after the first trimester. At Waterside Day Spa, we are only able to perform maternity massage for guests that are 14+ weeks pregnant.
Choose a massage therapist who has training and experience in the special precautions necessary for prenatal massage. Please always make sure that the therapist knows you’re expecting and how far along you are. Typically, maternity massages will avoid deep tissue work, and areas on the body like pressure point between your ankle bone and heel because there’s a theory that it may trigger contractions.
A massage during pregnancy is somewhat different from your typical massage experience. At Waterside Day Spa, we have two different set ups used for pregnant women… If you have a preference between these two set ups, please notify our receptionist when scheduling.
- Pregnancy Massage Cushions – these are special cousins with cut outs for the belly and breasts that allow expecting mother’s to still lay on your stomach during massage. The special shape helps support the areas surrounding the bump to alleviate pressure on the growing baby and still lets mama receive a massage starting in the classic prone position. This option is typically most comfortable in the second trimester or for expecting mama’s that aren’t showing as much. After the therapist does a traditional full body massage on the back side of the body, the expecting mother is flipped over to lay on her backside, at a gentle incline, to support healthy blood flow, for the remainder of the massage.
- Side Lying – the other option for pregnancy massage, used more in the third trimester and for mama’s that have “popped” more quickly. With this type of maternity massage set up, the therapist will use a body pillow and various bolsters so that the expecting mother can lay on her sides throughout the majority of the treatment, switching from her left to right side part of the way through, and then again finishing laying on her backside, at a gentle incline, to support healthy blood flow, for the remainder of the massage.
Pregnancy Skin Care and Facials
Most facials are safe during pregnancy, again, just let your esthetician know that you are expecting because there are ingredients that should still be avoided. Ingredients like retinol / retinoids should be avoided, along with some acids like salicylic, enzymes, hydroquinone, and even some essential oils or plant based ingredients.
Some essential oils that are generally safe during pregnancy are lavender, jasmine, rose, tangerine, chamomile, neroli, ylang-ylang and lemon. Some that should be avoided include licorice, rosemary, sage, basil, peppermint, oregano, thyme, and juniper.
The following treatments offered at Waterside Day Spa utilize ingredients and can be customized on every level to ensure they are safe during pregnancy.
- HydroLuxx™ Facial – Hydrodermabrasion and oxygen infusion are renowned for being able to correct all types of skin concerns. Using a diamond tip wand to simultaneously exfoliates weeks of dead skin build up, while also deeply infusing the skin with a blend of customized serums, individual skin’s needs are treated. Oxygen infusion reduces redness, plumps fine lines, increase lymphatic flow and brighten the complexion.
- Luxe Oxygenating Facial – An antioxidant therapy that supports the skins metabolism and cell turnover. A beautiful alternative to a peel (safe for pregnant or nursing women), this facial has a blend of powerhouse ingredients. Key ingredients include B vitamins, hydrogen peroxide, and plant based fungi. Calming for even the most sensitive skin types, this oxygenating facial includes a pure O2 mist that plumps, hydrates, and tones the skin.
- Waterside Signature Facial – Centered on your skin’s wellness, this basic facial is personalized meet your skins needs. Cleansing, exfoliation and light extractions to purify your skin and encourage detoxification. Facial massage techniques smooth fine lines and promote collagen while nutrient rich treatment masques, serums and moisturizers employ nutrients to target individual skin concerns.
- Pick Me Up, Mini Facial – An express facial service, including cleansing, exfoliation, steam, skin type specific masks and treatment serums. Great for young adults, ] as a maintenance facial in between more corrective treatments, or for someone who wants to get into a more dedicated skin care routine.
- Dermaplane Exfoliation – An add on to our Waterside Signature or Pick Me Up Facials that removes the top layers of dead skin, providing a deep exfoliation and remove the villous hairs, revealing a brighter complexion.
Our estheticians can also help you to put together a customized at-home skin-care routine that will address the hormonal fluctuations of pregnancy with products that are safe to use throughout pregnancy, delivery, nursing, and beyond.
Please reach out to us by phone or email for any general questions regarding the treatments that we offer during pregnancy. Most salon services like hair colors, cuts, and manicure / pedicure services are also generally safe during pregnancy and our staff can make adjustments to ensure your comfort throughout your time with us.
If you ever have questions about what is safe for you specifically, please consult with your primary care physician.
email@example.com | 970-875-0271